100 Best Osho Quotes on Love, Life Religion, and Philosophy:
Rajneesh or Archarya Rajneesh famously known as “Osho” was an Indian guru, godman, mystic and spiritual speaker. He was the founder of the Rajneesh movement, and was known for introducing the neo-sannyasins movement in Mumbai.
In today’s edition we will read some of the powerful quotes by Osho, which will shed a light on the controversial Indian mystic. Before diving into some of the best Osho quotes, let’s learn about his journey from Rajneesh to Bhagwan Rajeesh and later “Osho”.
“You cannot be truthful if you are not courageous. You cannot be loving if you are not courageous. You cannot be trusting if you are not courageous. You cannot enter into reality if you are not courageous. Hence courage comes first… and everything else follows.”
About Rajneesh Osho:
Born on December 1931 in Kuchwada, Bhopal in British India. Osho was a vocal critic of socialism, communism and anarchism, which he believed could evolve, when capitalism had reached its maturity in India.
Osho’s liberal views on life, sexuality and world order earned him the title of a controversial new religious movement leader and mystic.
His views on the orthodoxy of famous world religions, and appeasement to Gods made him one of the most controversial spiritual speakers of his time.
He spoke on the importance of meditation, mindfulness, love, celebration, courage, creativity and humour, which he believed are often suppressed or overlooked due to religious beliefs and traditions.
“There is no evil and there are no evil forces in the world. There are only people of awareness, and there are people who are fast asleep — and sleep has no force. The whole energy is in the hands of the awakened people. And one awakened person can awaken the whole world. One lighted candle can make millions of candles lighted without losing it’s light.”
About Osho’s Life and Education:
Rajneesh was born in a family of Jain merchants, and was raised by his maternal grandparents until the age of seven.
Osho quotes that his grandmother gave him utmost freedom as there were no rules, regulations or boundation for studies or anything. Hence he evolved into a free thinking man.
The journey of Ranjeesh to Osho first started after the death of his maternal grandfather, and his childhood girlfriend Shashi. After losing them, he started delving into the questions of death.
Since Rajeensh was a gifted and rebellious student, he gained the reputation of a challenging debater. He raised questions on religion and, took interest in many methods to expand consciousness, including breath control, yogic exercises, meditation, fasting, the occult, and hypnosis.
In the year 1955, he completed his BA in Philosophy at D.N. Jain College, and earned his MA in Philosophy with distinction from the University of Sagar in 1957.
After completing his studies, he joined as a teacher at Raipur Sanskrit College. But was asked by the vice-chancellor to seek transfer, as he thought his teachings could have a bad influence on the students.
From 1958, he worked as a lecturer at Jabalpur University, and was soon promoted to the post of Professor in 1960.
Rajneesh’s Work Timeline and Controversies:
- From 1962, Osho Rajneesh began 3- to 10-day meditation camps, and set up his first meditation centres (Jivan Jagruti Kendra), then known as the Life Awakening Movement.
- Rajneesh relocated to Pune in 1974, where he established an ashram that offered a wide variety of therapies first developed by the Human Potential Movement, to his western following.
- In 1981, the Rajneesh movement outgrew in the US, after which he relocated to a facility known as Rajneeshpuram in Wasco County, Oregon.
- Bhagwan Rajneesh allegedly owned a fleet of 93 Rolls Royces in which he made a grandiose entry like celebrities.
- In the Netflix documentary “The Wild Wild Country”, the commune was known to organize drug-induced orgies in Rajneeshpuram. In the documentary Sheela, had accepted that Rajneesh had sexual relations with his many of his female followers in the commune.
- In 1985, the followers of Rajneesh inflicted terror, including a mass food poisoning attack with salmonella bacteria and an aborted assassination plot to murder U.S. Attorney Charles H. Turner.
- Rajneesh accused his personal secretary Ma Anand Sheela and her close alliances for it. He was soon deported from the US, and was banned from 21 other countries.
- After the fall of Rajneeshpuram, US police allegedly discovered more than 100 weapons including .357 Magnum revolvers, semiautomatic Uzi carbines, and Galil assault rifles, along with tear gas grenades and barricade-penetrating shells for police riot guns.
- Osho Rajneesh ultimately returned to India and revived the Pune ashram, where he died in 1990.
- His ashram is now known as OSHO International Meditation Resort, his intellectual property is managed by the registered Osho International Foundation (formerly Rajneesh International Foundation).
Let’s check out some of Osho’s Quotes. So here are 100 best Osho Quotes on Love, Life Religion and Philosophy for you:
100 Best Osho Quotes on Love, Life Religion, Meditation, Awareness, Relationships and Philosophy
1. “The basic fallacy that you are carrying within you is that you always loved somebody.
This is one of the most significant things about all human beings: their love is always for somebody. It is addressed and the moment you address your love, you destroy it. It is as if you are saying, ‘I will breathe only for you, and when you are not there, then how can I breathe?” – Osho, Osho Quotes on Love
“Love should be like breathing. It should be just a quality in you wherever you are, with whomsoever you are. Even if you are alone, love goes on overflowing from you. It is not a question of being in love with someone – it is a question of being love.” – Osho
2. “The way of love is the way of no-expectation. Love exists only when there is a total acceptance and no desire to change anything.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
3. “All the buddhas of all the ages have been telling you a very simple fact: Be — don´t try to become. Within these two words, be and becoming, your whole life is contained. Being is enlightenment, becoming is ignorance.” – Osho
4. “Help the world to become better. Don’t leave the world just the same as you have found it – make it a little better, make it a little more beautiful.” – Osho
5. “Nobody has the power to take two steps together; you can take only one step at a time.” – Osho
6. “Trust is unconditional. It simply says that, ‘I have that quality which trusts. Now, it is irrelevant what happens to my trust – whether it is respected or not, whether it is deceived or not. That is not the point at all.’ Trust has nothing to do with the object of trust, it has something to do with your inner quality: can you trust?” – Osho
7. “To me, life in its totality is good. And when you understand life in its totality, only then can you celebrate; otherwise not. Celebration means: whatsoever happens is irrelevant – I celebrate. Celebration is not conditional on certain things: ‘When I am happy then I will celebrate,’ or, ‘When I am unhappy I will not celebrate.’ No. Celebration is unconditional; I celebrate life. It brings unhappiness – good, I celebrate it. It brings happiness – good, I celebrate it. Celebration is my attitude, unconditional to what life brings.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
8. “Trust simply means that whatever happens we are with it, joyously, not reluctantly, not unwillingly – then you miss the whole point – but dancingly, with a song, with laughter, with love. Whatever happens is for the good.
“Existence cannot go wrong. If it does not fulfill our desires, that simply means our desires were wrong.” – Osho
9. “Don’t try to understand life. Live it! Don’t try to understand love. Move into love. Then you will know – and all that knowing will come out of your experiencing. The more you know, the more you know that much remains to be known.” – Osho
10. “A man who is 100% sane is dead.” – Osho
11. “Anything can be creative – you bring that quality to the activity. Activity itself is neither creative nor uncreative. You can paint in an uncreative way. You can sing in an uncreative way. You can clean the floor in a creative way. You can cook in a creative way. Creativity is the quality that you bring to the activity you are doing. It is an attitude, an inner approach – how you look at things.” – Osho
12. “Be realistic: Plan for a miracle.” – Osho
Osho Quotes on Meditation:
13. “Meditation is the only answer to all the questions of man. It may be frustration, it may be depression, it may be sadness, it may be meaninglessness, it may be anguish: The problems may be many but the answer is one. Meditation is the answer.” – Osho, Osho Quotes on meditation
14. “Nobody is superior, nobody is inferior, but nobody is equal either. People are simply unique, incomparable. You are you, I am I. I have to contribute my potential to life; you have to contribute your potential to life. I have to discover my own being; you have to discover your own being.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
15. “In the West, since Marcus Aurelius, meditation has been in a mess. His was the first book written in the West about meditation. But not knowing what meditation can be, he defines it as a deeper concentration and a deeper contemplation. Both definitions are unjustified.
In the East we have another word, dhyan. It does not mean concentration, it does not mean contemplation, it does not mean meditation even. It means a state of no-mind.” – Osho
16. “Relationship is a structure, and love is unstructured. So love relates, certainly, but never becomes a relationship. Love is a moment-to-moment process. Remember it. Love is a state of your being, not a relationship. There are loving people and there are unloving people. Unloving people pretend to be loving through the relationship. Loving people need not have any relationship – love is enough.” – Osho
17. “Love is the goal, life is the journey.” – Osho
18. “Meditation is enjoying oneself, just sitting silently doing nothing: happy, joyous without any reason, because all reasons come from outside. You meet a beautiful woman and you are happy, or you meet a beautiful man and you are happy – but the meditator is simply happy. His happiness has no reason from the outside world; his happiness wells up within himself.”- Osho, Osho Quotes
19. “Whatever you feel, you become. It is your responsibility.” – Osho
20. “Except witnessing, I don’t teach anything else. So just witness your mind and the meditation will be happening. And once you have got in tune with your being, you know the way, you know the how. Then it does not matter where you are. Alone or in the crowd, in the silences of the forest or in the noises of a marketplace, it is all the same. You can simply close your eyes and disappear inward.” – Osho
21. “Drop the idea of becoming someone, because you are already a masterpiece. You cannot be improved. You have only to come to it, to know it, to realize it.” – Osho
22. “Each person comes into this world with a specific destiny–he has something to fulfill, some message has to be delivered, some work has to be completed. You are not here accidentally–you are here meaningfully. There is a purpose behind you. The whole intends to do something through you.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
Osho Quotes of Awareness:
23. “Awareness is never lost. It simply becomes entangled with the other, with objects. So the first thing to be remembered: it is never lost, it is your nature, but you can focus it on anything you want. When you get tired of focusing it on money, on power, on prestige, and that great moment comes in your life when you want to close your eyes and focus your awareness on its own source, on where it is coming from, on the roots – in a split second your life is transformed.
And don’t ask what the steps are; there is only one step. The process is very simple. The step is only one: that is turning in.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
24. “Enlightenment will be now the beginning, not the end. Beginning of a non-ending process in all dimensions of richness.” – Osho
25. “Tantric experience means neither to be repressive nor to be indulgent. Tantric experience is possible only if you move deep into meditation, otherwise not. When you become very, very still, silent, aware, alert, then only is it possible that you will know something of Tantra. Otherwise, Tantra can also become an excuse for indulgence – a new name, a religious name. And you can move into indulgence behind the name of Tantra. Names won’t make much change; your being needs change.” – Osho
26. “Your whole idea about yourself is borrowed– from those who have no idea of who they are themselves.” – Osho
27. There is no need of any competition with anybody. You are yourself, and as you are, you are perfectly good. Accept yourself. – Osho, Osho Quotes
28. “Freedom is not license, and does not mean no structure. It simply means flexibility, that one can move from one structure to another easily – from no-structure to structure, from structure to no-structure. If your freedom is afraid of being in a structure, then it is not freedom at all.
“Just try to understand this, and the split will disappear. It is not there in your being, but just in your mind, just an idea. Drop the idea and enjoy freedom, and sometimes discipline.
“Discipline has its own beauty, it is not all slavery. And freedom has its own dangers and is not all beautiful. A real person is always capable of infinite discipline and infinite freedom – he is not a slave or an addict to anything.” – Osho
29. “Lovers never surrender to each other, lovers simply surrender to love.” – Osho
30. “Philosophy is the blind man’s effort. It is said: Philosophy is a blind man in a dark room on a dark night, searching for a black cat which is not there.” – Osho
31. “Never belong to a crowd; Never belong to a nation; Never belong to a religion; Never belong to a race. Belong to the whole existence. Why limit yourself to small things? When the whole is available.” – Osho
32. “No philosopher has ever been able to know the truth. All the philosophers have been thinking about the truth. But thinking about the truth is an impossibility. Either you know it, or you don’t.
“You can see the whole history of philosophy: every answer has brought thousands of unnecessary questions. It has not been an answer, it has been a problem.”
33. “To avoid pain, they avoid pleasure. To avoid death, they avoid life.” – Osho
Osho Quotes on Love:
35. “If you really want to know love, forget about love, remember about meditation. If you want to bring roses into your garden, forget about roses and take care of the rosebush. Give nourishment to it, water it, take care that it gets the right amount of sun, water. If everything is taken care of, the roses are destined to come in the right time. You cannot bring them earlier, you cannot force them to open up sooner, and you cannot ask a rose flower to be more perfect.” – Osho
36. “Have you ever seen a rose flower that is not perfect? What more do you want? Every rose flower is perfect in its uniqueness. Dancing in the wind, in the rain, in the sun – can’t you see the tremendous beauty, the absolute joy? A small ordinary rose flower radiates the hidden splendor of existence.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
37. “Love is a roseflower in your being, but prepare your being. Dispel the darkness and the unconsciousness. Become more and more alert and aware, and love will come of its own accord, in its own time. You need not worry about it. And whenever it comes it is always perfect.” – Osho
38. “Love is a spiritual experience – nothing to do with sexes and nothing to do with bodies, but something to do with the innermost being.” – Osho
39. “But you have not even entered into your own temple. You don’t know at all who you are and you are asking about love. First be thyself; first know thyself – and love will come as a reward. It is a reward from the beyond. It showers on you like flowers, fills your being. And it goes on showering on you, and it brings with it a tremendous longing to share. That sharing can only be indicated in human language as ‘love’ It does not say much, but it indicates the right direction. Love is a shadow of alertness, of consciousness.” – Osho
40. “I teach you to be more conscious. And love will come as you become more conscious: it is a guest that comes, that comes inevitably to those who are ready and prepared to receive it.” – Osho
41. “Love has these three stages, and compassion accordingly has three stages, and both can exist in different combinations. Hence there are so many kinds of love and so many kinds of compassion. But the basic, the most fundamental, is to understand this three-rung ladder of love. That will help you, that will give you an insight into where you are, what kind of love you are living in and what kind of compassion is happening to you. Watch. Beware not to remain caught in it. There are higher realms, heights to be climbed, peaks to be attained.” – Osho quotes on love, Osho Quotes
Osho Quotes on Relationships:
42. “The moment love becomes a relationship, it becomes a bondage, because there are expectations and there are demands and there are frustrations, and an effort from both sides to dominate. It becomes a struggle for power…“Two persons can be very loving together.” – Osho
43. “The more loving they are, the less is the possibility of any relationship. The more loving they are, the more freedom exists between them. The more loving they are, the less is the possibility of any demand, any domination, any expectation. And naturally, there is no question of any frustration.” – Osho Quotes
44. “When you are happy alone, when you can live with yourself, there is no intrinsic necessity to be in relationship. That does not mean that you will not relate. But to relate is one thing, and to be in relationship is quite another.” – Osho
45. “Relationship is a kind of bondage, relating is sharing. You will relate with many people, you will share your joy with many people, but you will not depend on anyone in particular and you will not allow anybody else to depend on you. You will not be dependent, and you will not allow anybody to be dependent on you. Then you live out of freedom, out of joy, out of love.” – Osho
46. “Love respects the other. It is a give-and-take relationship. Love enjoys giving, and love enjoys taking. It is a sharing, it is a communication. Both are equal in love; in a sexual relationship both are not equal. Love has a totally different beauty to it.” – Osho Quotes
47. “The world is slowly, slowly moving towards love relationships; hence there is great turmoil. All the old institutions are disappearing – they have to disappear, because they were based on the I/it relationship. New ways of communication, new ways of sharing are bound to be discovered. They will have a different flavor, the flavor of love, of sharing. They will be nonpossessive; there will be no owner. – Osho Quotes
Inspirational Osho Quotes:
48. “You will come closer and closer to perfection, but you will never be perfect. Perfection is not the way of existence. Growth is the way.” – Osho
49. “Be a lotus flower. Be in the water, and do not let the water touch you.” – Osho, Osho quotes
50. “Commit as many mistakes as possible, remembering only one thing: don’t commit the same mistake again. And you will be growing.” – Osho
51. “The greatest fear in the world is the opinion of others, and the moment you are unafraid of the crowd, you are no longer a sheep, you become a lion. A great roar arises in your heart, the roar of freedom.” – Osho
52. “Get out of your head and get into your heart. Think less, feel more.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
53. “A certain darkness is needed to see the stars.” – Osho
54. “I live my life based on two principles. One, I live as if today was my last day on earth. Two, I live today as if I am going to live forever.” – Osho
55. “Don’t try to understand life. Live it! Don’t try to understand love. Move into love. Then you will know and that knowing will come out of your experiencing.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
56. If you love a flower, don’t pick it up. Because if you pick it up it dies and it ceases to be what you love. So if you love a flower, let it be. Love is not about possession. Love is about appreciation. – Osho
Osho Quotes on Fear:
57. “A comfortable, convenient life is not a real life – the more comfortable, the less alive. The most comfortable life is in the grave.” – Osho
58. “Respect life, revere life. There is nothing more holy than life, nothing more divine than life.” – Osho
59. “Courage is a love affair with the unknown.” – Osho
60. “To be creative means to be in love with life. You can be creative only if you love life enough that you want to enhance its beauty.” – Osho
61. “Be. Don’t try to become.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
62. “The real question is not whether life exists after death. The real question is whether you are alive before death.” – Osho
63. “Life repeats itself mindlessly – unless you become mindful, it will go on repeating like a wheel.” – Osho
64. “People say love is blind because they do not know what love is. I say unto you, only love has eyes; other than love, everything is blind.” – Osho
65. “Experience life in all possible ways – good-bad, bitter-sweet, dark-light, summer-winter. Experience all the dualities. Don’t be afraid of experience, because the more experience you have, the more mature you become.” – Osho
66. “Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.” – Osho
67. “Life begins where fear ends.” – Osho
68. “Each person comes into this world with a specific destiny– he has something to fulfill, some message has to be delivered, some work has to be completed. You are not here accidentally– you are here meaningfully. There is a purpose behind you. The whole intends to do something through you.” – Osho quotes
69. “Falling in love you remain a child; rising in love you mature. By and by love becomes not a relationship, it becomes a state of your being. Not that you are in love – now you are love.” – Osho
70. “You feel good, you feel bad, and these feelings are bubbling from your own unconsciousness, from your own past. Nobody is responsible except you. Nobody can make you angry, and nobody can make you happy.” – Osho
71. “In love the other is important; in lust you are important.” – Osho
72. “A certain darkness is needed to see the stars.” – Osho
73. “They say: Think twice before you jump. I say: Jump first and then think as much as you want!” – Osho
Osho Quotes on Learning:
“If you are a parent, open doors to unknown directions to the child so he can explore. Don’t make him afraid of the unknown, give him support.” – Osho
“Truth is not to be found outside. No teacher, no scripture can give it to you. It is inside you and if you wish to attain it, seek your own company. Be with yourself.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
76. “It’s not a question of learning much. On the contrary. It’s a question of UNLEARNING much.” – Osho
Millions of people are suffering: they want to be loved but they don’t know how to love. And love cannot exist as a monologue; it is a dialogue, a very harmonious dialogue.” – Osho
Now they are a circle, and they vibrate together, they pulsate together. Their hearts are no longer separate, their beats are no longer separate, they have become a melody, a harmony. It is the greatest music possible, all other musics are just faint things compared to it, shadow things compared to it.” – Osho
Truth is not something outside to be discovered, it is something inside to be realized.” – Osho
Each person comes into this world with a specific destiny – he or she has something to fulfill, some message that has to be delivered, some work that has to be completed. You are not here accidentally – you are here meaningfully. There is a purpose behind you. The whole intends to do something through you.” – Osho
“The moment you become miserable you are closed to the basic phenomenon of life: expansion, sharing. The moment you start clinging to things, you have missed the target–you have missed. Because things are not the target, you, your innermost being, is the target–not a beautiful house, but a beautiful you; not much money, but a rich you; not many things, but an open being, available to millions of things.” – Osho
The moment you enter into the world of words you start falling away from that which is. The more you enter into language, the farther you are away from existence.” – Osho
The feminine is more powerful than the masculine, the soft is more powerful than the hard, the water is more powerful than the rock.” – Osho
All that is great cannot be possessed – and that is one of the most foolish things man goes on doing. We want to possess.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
Wise Osho Quotes:
85. “In a cinema hall, you look at the screen, you never look at the back – the projector is at the back. The film is not there really on the screen; it is just a projection of shadow and light. The film exists just at the back, but you never look at that. And the projector is there.
Your mind is at the back of the whole thing, and the mind is the projector. But you always look at the other, because the other is the screen. When you are in love the person seems beautiful, no comparison. When you hate, the same person seems the ugliest, and you never become aware of how the same person can be the ugliest and the same person can be the most beautiful….
So the only way to reach to truth is to learn how to be immediate in your vision, how to drop the help of the mind. This agency of the mind is the problem, because mind can create only dreams…. Through your excitement the dream starts looking like reality.
If you are too excited then you are intoxicated, then you are not in your senses. Then whatsoever you see is just your projection. And there are as many worlds as there are minds, because every mind lives in his own world.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
Don’t seek, don’t search, don’t ask, don’t knock, don’t demand – relax. If you relax, it comes. If you relax, it is there. If you relax, you start vibrating with it.” – Osho
A really religious person has no theology. Yes, he has the experience, he has the truth, he has that luminosity, but he has no theology.” – Osho
All that this world needs is a good cleansing of the heart of all the inhibitions of the past. And laughter and tears can do both. Tears will take out all the agony that is hidden inside you and laughter will take all that is preventing your ecstasy. Once you have learned the art you will be immensely surprised.” – Osho
God is a synergetic experience. Science can never reveal it, philosophy can never come to it – only a poetic approach, a very passive, very loving approach, can.” – Osho
90. “If you are ready to be intimate, you will encourage the other person also to be intimate. Your unpretentious simplicity will allow the other also to enjoy simplicity, innocence, trust, love, openness.” – Osho quotes
“The future of humanity will move closer and closer toward the approach of Zen, because the meeting of the East and West is possible only through something like Zen, which is earthly and yet unearthly.” – Osho quotes
You have to drop all your defenses, only then is intimacy possible. We are all hiding a thousand and on things, not only from others but from ourselves.” – Osho quotes
More Quotes of Osho:
The whole world is a cyclone. But once you have found the center the cyclone disappears. This nothingness is the ultimate peak of consciousness.” – Osho quotes
94. “Know the whole world is nothing when it is compared to knowing your own inner mystery of life.” – Osho quotes
95. “Drop the fear. Fear was taken up by you in your childhood, unconsciously. Now consciously drop it and be mature. Then the life can be a light which goes on deepening as you go on growing.” – Osho Quotes
96. “Don’t move the way fear makes you move. Move the way love makes you move. Move the way joy makes you move.” – Osho quotes
If you are absolutely without mind, just pure consciousness, time stops completely, disappears, leaving no trace behind. – Osho quotes
98. “There is no need of any competition with anybody. You are yourself, and as you are, you are perfectly good. Accept yourself.” – Osho quotes
99. “Man has lost one quality, the quality of zestfulness. And without zest, what is life? Just waiting for death? It can’t be anything else. Only with zest do you live; otherwise you vegetate.” – Osho qoutes
100. “The mind exists in time, in fact the mind is time; it exists in the past and the future. And remember, time consists of only two tenses, the past and the future. The present is not part of time, the present is part of eternity.” – Osho, Osho Quotes
Hope you liked our compilation of 100 best Osho Quotes on love, life, religion, philosophy and meditation.
You Might also Like to Read:
- 100 Albert Camus Quotes on God, Suicide, Death, Love, Psychology, Happiness & More
- J. Krishnamurti’s Quotes on Love, Freedom & the Importance of Human Relationships
- Rare J. Krishnamurti Quotes on Human Conditioning & Suffering
- 30 Profound Quotes by Jiddu Krishnamurti on the Nature of Mind and Life
- 50 Inspiring Zen Quotes on Life for the Conscious Minds
- 22 Valuable Life Lessons & Inspirational Quotes from The Monk who Sold His Ferrari