39 Greatest Buddhist Quotes on Happiness that’ll Transform your Thinking Pattern
Greatest Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
By far one of the greatest quotes that I have read is— “Happiness is a state of mind.” Which correlates with the Buddhist philosophy that happiness follows when you achieve a healthy state of mind, in which you embrace every emotion that comes along the way.
Buddhist philosophy emphasizes on perceiving the true nature of reality without chasing happiness. It teaches us to acknowledge every emotion be it joy, happiness or sadness, while understanding its importance in life.
Great Buddhist philosophers preach that the natural state of happiness can be attained through knowledge and practice, which will offer you peace of mind.
Buddhist way of Achieving the State of Happiness:
In Buddhism, authentic happiness cannot be achieved by merely thinking or waiting for it to usher on you like a wish. But you have to indulge in rigorous mental training to suppress the negative emotions such as hatred, jealousy and desires, that poisons the mind.
Buddha believed one can achieve mental peace by detaching themselves from the cycle of desires, that produces dukkha. In order to withhold that placid state of happiness, you need to train your mind. So it doesn’t fixate itself on negative emotions.
Great Tibetan Buddhist Spiritual Preacher and Leader, his Holiness Dalai Lama says,
“People are unhappy because they keep thinking about the future, which is uncertain and unpredictable. This eventually becomes their cause for unhappiness.
Since our life is based on hope. Therefore, we should be hopeful for the future. We should keep hoping that something good will happen and continue living our purpose.
In the materialistic way of living, happiness exists only at a sensorial level.
For example: If we see beautiful things, ride expensive cars or buy luxurious items, we can achieve temporary happiness. Whereas, authentic happiness is natural and long-lasting as it is achieved at the mental level.”
Buddhist Quotes on Happiness to develop Happiness on the Mental Level:
His Holiness Dalai Lama urges people to develop happiness on the mental level. It should be created by the self and one should do good karma. As good actions open the doors for happiness whereas, bad actions lead to suffering.
In this article, you’ll get to know the various methods for attaining happiness in its placid state, through mindful Buddhist quotes on happiness.
You can use these Buddhist teachings on happiness to train your mind, to be able to achieve that tranquil state of happiness.
So here ae 39 greatest Buddhist quotes on happiness, that’ll transform your thinking pattern. My favourite quote is quote number 38, which one is yours?
39 Greatest Buddhist Quotes on Happiness that’ll Transform your Thinking Pattern
Buddha Quotes on Happiness:
1. “It is ridiculous to think that somebody else can make you happy or unhappy.”
2. “There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
3. “Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.”
4. “Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
5. “Happiness is not having a lot. Happiness is giving a lot.”
6. “A disciplined mind brings happiness.”
7. “May all beings have happy minds.”
8. “If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts, happiness follows them like a never-departing shadow.” – Buddha, Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
Also Read: 40 Refreshing Jay Shetty Quotes to Help you to Think like a Monk
9. “Whatever is not yours: let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term happiness & benefit.”
10. “Whatever living beings there may be — feeble or strong, long, stout, or of medium size, short, small, large, those seen or those unseen, those dwelling far or near, those who are born as well as those yet to be born — may all beings have happy minds.” – Buddha, Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
11. “Good people keep on walking whatever happens. They do not speak vain words and are the same in good fortune and bad. If one desires neither children nor wealth nor power nor success by unfair means, know such a one to be good, wise, and virtuous.” – Buddha, Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
12. “The way to happiness is: keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry. Live simply, give much. Fill your life with love. Do as you would be done by.”
13. “You must love yourself before you love another. By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.” – Buddha, Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
Also Read: 30 Evergreen Buddhist Quotes on Karma to Teach you the Importance of your Actions
Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Happiness:
14. “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.”
15. “Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.”
16. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”
17. “Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquility and happiness we all seek.”
18. “I believe compassion to be one of the few things we can practice that will bring immediate and long-term happiness to our lives. I’m not talking about the short-term gratification of pleasures like sex, drugs or gambling (though I’m not knocking them), but something that will bring true and lasting happiness. The kind that sticks.” – Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
19. “All suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their own happiness or satisfaction”
20. “When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”
21. “We don’t need more money, we don’t need greater success or fame, we don’t need the perfect body or even the perfect mate. Right now, at this very moment, we have a mind, which is all the basic equipment we need to achieve complete happiness.” – Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
22. “Human happiness and human satisfaction most ultimately come from within oneself.”
23. “The purpose of our lives is to be happy.”
24. “We need to learn how to want what we have, not to have what we want in order to get steady and stable happiness.” – Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
25. “It is felt that a disciplined mind leads to happiness and an undisciplined mind leads to suffering.”
Also Read: 50 Best Sadhguru Quotes on Karma, Death, Life, Love and Yoga
26. “Happiness is determined more by one’s state of mind than by external events.”
27. “The ultimate source of happiness is not money and power, but warm-heartedness.”
28. “The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being.”
29. “The ultimate source of a happy life is the attention we pay to our inner values.”
30. “What unites all beings is their desire for happiness.” ~ Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
31. “The more you nurture a feeling of loving kindness, the happier and calmer you will be.”
32. “We must all live harmoniously with our neighbors. Your happiness depends on it.”
33. “Happiness comes through taming the mind.”
34. “Compassion and happiness are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength.”
35. “It is important to generate a good attitude, a good heart as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short-term and the long-term for both yourself and others will come.” – Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
36. “The happiness of one person or nation is the happiness of humanity.”
Bodhidharma Quotes on Happiness & Bliss:
37. “According to the Sutras, evil deeds result in hardships and good deeds result in blessings.”
38. “To seek is to suffer. To seek nothing is bliss.”~ Buddhist Quotes on Happiness
39. “Every suffering is a buddha-seed, because suffering impels mortals to seek wisdom. But you can only say that suffering gives rise to buddhahood. You can’t say that suffering is buddhahood. Your body and mind are the field. Suffering is the seed, wisdom the sprout, and buddhahood the grain.” – Bodhidharma‘s Buddhist Quotes on Happiness & Bliss
If you liked Greatest Buddhist Quotes on Happiness, then you might enjoy reading:
- 50 Quotes for Introverts that are as Comforting as Bonfire
- 50 Brutally Honest Charles Bukowski Quotes on People, Love, Women, Art, Sadness & Death
- 40 Best Quotes About The Love Of God to Strengthen Your Faith in the Almighty
- 50 Best Romantic Love Quotes for Her that’ll Make her Say Awww!
- 65 Unique Leo Tolstoy Quotes on Love, Life, Humanity, Vegetarianism & Veganism
- 100 Bitter-sweet Existential Quotes by famous Philosophers that’ll hit you Deep
- 100 Best Osho Quotes on Love, Life Religion and Philosophy
- 50 Best Sayings by Great Thinkers and Philosophers to Enlighten your Mind
- 21 Life Changing Bhagavad Gita Quotes with Explanation and Meaning
- 70 Satiating Quotes on Solitude that’ll Make you feel Good