Christian Quotes on Love
One of the most difficult tasks is to describe love, as we all have a different understanding of it. To experience love, we must have mutual respect and acceptance for all.
Being selfish and self-centered narrows down the probability of being loved, and to experience it in the true sense. Because we aren’t positive about it, nor do we have an openness for it.
Therefore, to guide us and to make us understand love, let’s understand it from the biblical point of view. Since Bible was written in both Hebrew and Greek. Therefore, both translations carry a unique meaning of love.
The Bible beautifully describes love in different stages. Right from the blossoming of a relationship to the changes in our cognitive and behavioural patterns.
Due to which we feel a different kind of love at every stage, and it keeps bouncing like the ebb and flow of a river. So let’s break down the meaning of different kinds of love as represented in the Bible.
Four Types of Love as described by the Greek Bible:
According to the Christian philosophy, love is created and blessed by God in the following forms.
- Eros (sensual or romantic love): Eros is a kind of love that is passionate and intense in nature. It arouses deep feelings for the one you love, and ignites romance between the couple. One feels emotional and develops physical intimacy.
Eros love is at its peak in the initial stages of the relationship. It tends to decrease as the relationship turns old. As eros love focusses more on “self” than on the other person.
However, some lucky couples, who keep watering their relationship, stay in this stage forever and experience eros love throughout their life.
- Storge (familial love): It is a kind of love that parents have for their children. Where their offspring derive a sense of comfort and safety. They know they are a part of the family, and will stick to each other through thick and thin.
Storge love is based on mutual understanding, respect and commitment. In storge love, the couple develops friendship which grows into a romantic relationship, and finally blossoms into a strong familial bond.
When people experience storge love, they have unconditional love for one another. They don’t have ego in between, and they let go of negative emotions easily. It accepts flaws or faults and makes you forgive each other easily.
- Philia (love for friends and equals): In philia love, people develop fondness for each other. Which leads to the development of brotherhood and harmony.
Philia love is affectionate, warm, and a kind of tender platonic love, which kindles friendship. When couples experience philia love, they get drawn towards each other to form a union.
- Agape (love for God and mankind): Agape love is unconditional love. It is one of the purest and highest forms of love. This kind of love is often related to loving God, spouse, family, and doing charitable work.
Agape love is pure in nature, it goes beyond self-interest. When people experience agape love, they extend their support for others and want the best for others.
In Christian philosophy, agape love is described, as the love originating from God or Christ for humankind.
Christian Philosophy of Love:
Although the meaning of love has been maligned by the people over the years. But if we go by the Christian theology, it states that— God is the source and the very essence of eternal love.
Which means his love is immortal, it knows no bounds. His love cannot be contained, nor it can be reserved for the special ones. It is timeless, it is pure, and it is equal for all.
In the Gospel of John, Jesus said:
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (NIV, John 13:34–35; cf. John 15:17). Jesus also taught “Love your enemies.” (Matthew 5:44, Luke 6:27).
No human being is devoid of God’s love, and it cannot be phased out. Unlike human relationships that sour and decay after some time.
God’s love has no expiry date, he loves all humans as his children, and considers them as one big family. Without further ado, let’s go through these~ 55 Christian Quotes on Love which Goes beyond the Self
55 Christian Quotes on Love which Goes beyond the Self
1. “To love someone means to see him as God intended him.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky, Christian Quotes on Love
2. “Everything God does is love — even when we do not understand Him.” – Basilea Schlink
3. “What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.” – Augustine
4. “Though we cannot think alike may we not love alike?” – John Wesley, Christian Quotes on Love
5. “Love is the doorway through which the human soul passes from selfishness to service.” – Jack Hyles
6. “But the kind of love that God created and demonstrated is a costly one because it involves sacrifice and presence. It’s a love that operates more like a sign language than being spoken outright.” – Bob Goff
7. “For instance, God teaches us to love by putting some unlovely people around us. It takes no character to love people who are lovely and loving to you.” – Rick Warren, Christian Quotes on Love
8. “Faith makes all things possible… love makes all things easy.” – Dwight L. Moody, Christian Quotes on Love
9. “The best use of life is love. The best expression of love is time. The best time to love is now.” – Rick Warren
10. “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” – Philippians 2:3-4
Don’t Miss: Best Quotes About The Love Of God to Strengthen Your Faith in the Almighty
11. “So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” – John 13:34-35
12. “Nothing can bring a real sense of security into the home except true love.” – Billy Graham
13. “The chains of love are stronger than the chains of fear.” – William Gurnall, Christian Quotes on Love
14. “You will never really love until you love someone who hates you.” – Jack Hyles
15. “Live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” – Ephesians 5:2, Christian Quotes on Love
16. “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.” – 1 John 4:7-8
17. “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” – Matthew 22:37-39
18. “In the New Testament, love is more of a verb than a noun. It has more to do with acting than with feeling. The call to love is not so much a call to a certain state of feeling as it is to a quality of action.”
19. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness.” – Galatians 5:22
20. “The Lord your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.” – Zephaniah 3:17, Christian Quotes on Love
21. “How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.” – Psalm 36:7
22. “Learning to love unselfishly is not an easy task. It runs counter to our self-centered nature.” – Rick Warren
23. “Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul.” – Augustine
24. “Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them.” – Mother Teresa
25. “God will use whatever he wants to display his glory. Heavens and stars. History and nations. People and problems.” – Max Lucado, Christian Quotes on Love
26. “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.” – Martin Luther King Jr
27. “You are not at the mercy of fate, of luck, of happenstance, of other people. The God who flung the stars into space, the God who causes the earth to rotate down to the exact millisecond has ordered your steps.” – Joel Osteen
Also Read: Best Self-Love Quotes that’ll Inspire You to Love Yourself
28. “You were made by God and for God, and until you understand that, life will never make sense.” – Rick Warren
29. “In biblical thinking, genuine love exists only when good works are done in a context where God rather than the doer gets the credit.” – Daniel Fuller, Christian Quotes on Love
30. “Do not think that love in order to be genuine has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired. Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.” – Mother Teresa
31. “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” – Ephesians 5:25
32. “Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him.” – 1 John 3:18, Christian Quotes on Love
33. “If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it. If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it. He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning. Face it, friend. He is crazy about you.” – Max Lucado
34. “A marriage cannot survive when we think only of ourselves. We need to recognize that to love someone is a choice, not a feeling.” – Christin Slade
35. “People have enough people pushing them down, pointing out their faults. Why don’t you be the one to push them up, see the best in them, and help them get free?” – Joel Osteen, Christian Quotes on Love
36. “Though our feelings come and go, God’s love for us does not.” – C.S. Lewis, Christian Quotes on Love
37. “Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it.” – 1 Peter 3:15
38. “God proved His love on the Cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, ‘I love you’.” – Billy Graham
39. “God loves you just the way you are, but He refuses to leave you that way. He wants you to be just like Jesus.” – Max Lucado, Christian Quotes on Love
40. “Take time to make a difference. Don’t look through eyes of judgment; look through eyes of love. Give the benefit of the doubt.” – Joel Osteen
Also Read: How to Deal with Rejection in Love like a Mature Individual
41. “Go after someone that’s made mistakes, someone that’s hurting, someone that doesn’t deserve it. You can be the one that helps get them back on their feet.” – Joel Osteen
42. “The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us.” – C.S. Lewis, Christian Quotes on Love
43. “The world is not a playground; it is a school-room. Life is not a holiday, but an education. And the one eternal lesson for us all is how better we can love.” – Henry Drummond
44. “Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.” – C S Lewis, Christian Quotes on Love
45. “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;” -1 Corinthians 13:4-5 ESV
46. “God is looking for you. He’ll keep pursuing you, keep calling you, keep nudging you. He loves you too much to leave you alone. He knows who you are. He breathed His life into you.” – Joel Osteen, Christian Quotes on Love
47. “Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.” – Mother Teresa
48. “The overriding character trait of Jesus is LOVE, and the entire Gospel story is woven with love. Sometimes it’s not easy, and oftentimes it requires sacrifice, but it’s when we love that we are the most like Jesus.” – Steven Furtick
49. “But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved…” – Ephesians 2:4-5
Also Read: 70 Inspirational Strength Quotes that you must Imbibe from Religious Books & Successful People
50. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr, Christian Quotes on Love
51. “It’s not what you do, but how much love you put into it that matters.” – Rick Warren, Christian Quotes on Love
52. “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.” – C.S. Lewis
53. “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” – Paulo Coelho, Christian Quotes on Love
54. “God loves messy people. He loves broken people, people that are at a disadvantage, not just people that have just had a bad break. God loves people that got themselves into the mess.” – Joel Osteen
55. “By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.” – 1 John 3:16, Christian Quotes on Love
If you liked Christian Quotes on Love, then you might like:
- 105 Best Life-Saving Quotes on Change by Powerful Personalities
- 30 Major Signs you are in a Toxic Relationship and How to Deal with it
- 22 Valuable Life Lessons & Inspirational Quotes from The Monk who Sold His Ferrari
- 10 Tell Tale Signs of Energy Vampires and Tips to deal with Energy Vampires
- Spiritual Enquiry: Why Children are Happier than Adults
- How to become a Confident Woman and 10 Tips to Boost your Confidence
- Relationship Rules: 10 Secrets of Happy Couples for a Strong Relationship
- 101 Best Mc Names with Origin and Meaning
- 40 Best Native American Quotes and Proverbs that are specially Curated for You