Self-esteem is a person’s self-worth and his value in his own eyes. Which influences him to behave or perceive things in a certain way.
People with low self-esteem have a hard time in adjusting within the society, and usually have a troubled life. Since they have low self-confidence, they have difficulty in trusting their own decisions.
People with low self-esteem avoid social interactions. Such people usually have poor communication skills and high level of anxiety.
A person who has a healthy level of self-esteem generally has a positive view of himself. He is happy and contented with himself. Such an individual doesn’t think of himself as any less than others, in terms of personal capabilities.
Whereas, a person with low self-esteem constantly judges himself. Such people tend to compare themselves with others and constantly find faults in them.
They constantly sulk about the qualities they admire in others. Which they wish they possessed, due to which they create a negative opinion about themselves, that influences their behavior.
Therefore, people with low self-esteem fear participating in activities or being open about trying new things. As they lack courage and have a negative perception, that they might embarrass themselves in front of others.
If you struggle with low self-esteem, then make small changes in your life, especially at the mental level. Give positive affirmations to yourself, express your needs, avoid dwelling on negative experiences that happened in the past. Try to see your overall strengths and weaknesses.
Read positive quotes and books that might help you to think positively. To help you clear your mind of negative thoughts, here are~ 60 best self-esteem quotes to help you eliminate negative self-talk.
1. “The better you feel about yourself, the less you feel the need to show off.” – Robert Hand
2. “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.” – Mark Twain
3. “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” – Fred Rogers, Self-Esteem Quotes
4. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
5. “I used to hate feeling embarrassed, but then I realized nobody’s watching and nobody gives a damn. “- Barbara Corcoran
6. “Self-esteem isn’t everything; it’s just that there’s nothing without it.” – Gloria Steinem
7. “Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your hand-break on.” – Maxwell Maltz
8. “Believe in yourself. Have faith in your abilities. Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.” – Norman Vincent Peale
9. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
10. “I don’t entirely approve of some of the things I have done, or am, or have been. But I’m me. God knows, I’m me.” – Elizabeth Taylor
Also Read: 70 Satiating Quotes on Solitude that’ll Make you feel Good
11. “Find the love you seek, by first finding the love within yourself. Learn to rest in that place within you that is your true home.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Self-Esteem Quotes
13. “In your own life it’s important to know how spectacular you are.” – Steve Maraboli
14. “You don’t have to convince anybody of anything, and you don’t have to attract anyone’s attention.” – Haruki Murakami (Norwegian Wood)
15. “Why should we worry about what others think of us, do we have more confidence in their opinions than we do our own?” – Brigham Young
16. “The worst outcome in this world is not having self-esteem. If you don’t love yourself, who will?” – Naval Ravikant
17. “Self-love is an ocean and your heart is a vessel. Make it full, and any excess will spill over into the lives of the people you hold dear. But you must come first.” – Beau Taplin
18. Self-esteem begins with self-understanding, grows with courage and perseverance, ends with confidence. – Maxime Lagacé
19. “Low self-esteem causes me to believe that I have so little worth that my response does not matter. With repentance, however, I understand that being worth so much to God is why my response is so important. Repentance is remedial work to mend our minds and hearts, which get bent by sin.” – John Ortberg, Self-Esteem Quotes
20. “Self-esteem is the reputation we acquire with ourselves.” – Nathaniel Branden
Also Read: 50 Quotes for Introverts that are as Comforting as Bonfire
21. “Everything that happens to you is a reflection of what you believe about yourself. We cannot outperform our level of self-esteem. We cannot draw to ourselves more than we think we are worth.” – Iyanla Vanzant, Self-Esteem Quotes
22. “A person’s self-esteem has nothing to do with how she looks.” – Halle Berry
23. “Love yourself. When you love yourself, people can pick up on that: they can see confidence, they can see self-esteem, and naturally, people gravitate towards you.” – Lilly Singh, Self-Esteem Quotes
24. “When you adopt the viewpoint that there is nothing that exists that is not part of you, that there is no one who exists who is not part of you, that any judgment you make is self-judgment, that any criticism you level is self-criticism, you will wisely extend to yourself an unconditional love that will be the light of the world.” – Harry Palmer
25. “To love yourself right now, just as you are, is to give yourself heaven. Don’t wait until you die. If you wait, you die now. If you love, you live now.” – Alan Cohen
27. “I had to grow to love my body. I did not have a good self-image at first. Finally it occurred to me, I’m either going to love me or hate me. And I chose to love myself. Then everything kind of sprung from there. Things that I thought weren’t attractive became sexy. Confidence makes you sexy.” – Queen Latifah
28. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
29. “Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” – Thomas Jefferson
30. “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.” – Marie Curie, Self-Esteem Quotes
31. “If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.” – T. Harv Eker, Self-Esteem Quotes
Also Read: 50 Best Pregnancy Quotes to Celebrate the Joy of New Moms
32. “Wouldn’t it be powerful if you fell in love with yourself so deeply that you would do just about anything if you knew it would make you happy? This is precisely how much life loves you and wants you to nurture yourself. The deeper you love yourself, the more the universe will affirm your worth. Then you can enjoy a lifelong love affair that brings you the richest fulfillment from inside out.” – Alan Cohen
33. “I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.” – Laurie Halse Anderson
34. “You’ve been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise Hay, Self-Esteem Quotes
35. “The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself.” – Mark Twain
36. “There is overwhelming evidence that the higher the level of self-esteem, the more likely one will be to treat others with respect, kindness, and generosity.” – Nathaniel Branden, Self-Esteem Quotes
37. “Everything that happens to you is a reflection of what you believe about yourself. We cannot outperform our level of self-esteem. We cannot draw to ourselves more than we think we are worth.” – Iyanla Vanzant
38. “Much of your self-esteem doesn’t come from what happens to you on a given day or what somebody says, but what you know about yourself on the inside.” – Dr. Judy Ho, Self-Esteem Quotes
39. “One of my favorite things to do is to show people how much they can shine! I am absolutely in love with watching people step into their full capacity to illuminate. Self-love does not cause arrogance; it is insecurity and abandonment at the root of arrogance. At the root of arrogance you’ll find low self esteem. There is space enough for everyone to shine just like there is space enough for all of the stars in the sky. There’s nothing I dislike more than people who have to dim down another’s light because they’re afraid of it. Let a person be the luminary that they are.” – C. JoyBell C.
40. “I believe that a life of integrity is the most fundamental source of personal worth. I do not agree with the popular success literature that says that self-esteem is primarily a matter of mind set, of attitude—that you can psych yourself into peace of mind. Peace of mind comes when your life is in harmony with true principles and values and in no other way.” – Stephen R. Covey
41. “You don’t have to change yourself to be in a group, or for it to accept you. If you have to change yourself for its acceptance, then it’s not worth your efforts.” – Mitta Xinindlu
42. “If you are not 100% with yourself, you will not gain extra points from someone else.” – Christine E. Szymanski
44. “Be an Encourager: When you encourage others, you boost their self-esteem, enhance their self-confidence, make them work harder, lift their spirits and make them successful in their endeavors. Encouragement goes straight to the heart and is always available. Be an encourager. Always.” – Roy T. Bennett, Self-Esteem Quotes
45. “If you celebrate your differentness, the world will, too. It believes exactly what you tell it—through the words you use to describe yourself, the actions you take to care for yourself, and the choices you make to express yourself. Tell the world you are one-of-a-kind creation who came here to experience wonder and spread joy. Expect to be accommodated.” – Victoria Moran
Also Read: 40 Best Quotes About The Love Of God to Strengthen Your Faith in the Almighty
46. “Don’t let mental blocks control you. Set yourself free. Confront your fear and turn the mental blocks into building blocks.” – Dr Roopleen
47. “You just have to say to yourself, “I am not willing to accept anything less than what I deserve! I am smart! I am Beautiful! I am a good woman and I deserve to be happy!” It all starts with you.” – Amari Soul
48. “I feel keeping a promise to yourself is a direct reflection of the love you have for yourself. I used to make promises to myself and find them easy to break. Today, I love myself enough to not only make a promise to myself, but I love myself enough to keep that promise” – Steve Maraboli
49. “I’ve wasted a lot of time in my life. I’ve thought too much about what people will say or what they’re gonna think. And sometimes it’s over silly things like going to the grocery store or going to the post office. But there have been times when I really stopped myself from doing something special. All because I was scared someone might look at me and decide I wasn’t good enough. But you don’t have to bother with that nonsense. I wasted all that time so you don’t have to.” – Julie Murphy
50. “People who repeatedly attack your confidence and self-esteem are quite aware of your potential, even if you are not.” – Wayne Gerard Trotman
51. “Forget about self-image and self-judgment. It’s about self-love , and no one teaches you that at school. No one teaches you that if you accept and love yourself, nothing and no one can touch you. This is the only face and body you’re ever going to get, so be comfortable and happy in it. Own it. Own every aspect of who you are and present it to the world with the utmost pride.” – Connor Franta, Self-Esteem Quotes
52. “Outstanding leaders go out of their way to boost the self-esteem of their personnel. If people believe in themselves, it’s amazing what they can accomplish.” – Sam Walton
53. “You are loved just for being who you are, just for existing. You don’t have to do anything to earn it. Your shortcomings, your lack of self-esteem, physical perfection, or social and economic success – none of that matters. No one can take this love away from you, and it will always be here.” – Ram Dass, Self-Esteem Quotes
54. “Anger is a manifestation of a deeper issue… and that, for me, is based on insecurity, self-esteem and loneliness.” – Naomi Campbell
55. “Self-esteem is the greatest sickness known to man or woman because it’s conditional.” – Albert Ellis
56. “Self-esteem is made up primarily of two things: feeling lovable and feeling capable. Lovable means I feel people want to be with me. They invite me to parties; they affirm I have the qualities necessary to be included. Feeling capable is knowing that I can produce a result. It’s knowing I can handle anything that life hands me.” – Jack Canfield
Also Read: 55 Christian Quotes on Love which Goes beyond the Self
57. “If we get our self-esteem from superficial places, from our popularity, appearance, business success, financial situation, health, any of these, we will be disappointed, because no one can guarantee that we’ll have them tomorrow.” Kathy Ireland, Self-Esteem Quotes
58. “Narcissism is not about self love. It’s a clinical trait that belies a deep sense of emptiness, low self-esteem, emotional detachment, self-loathing, extreme problems with intimacy.” – Drew Pinsky
59. “You can’t let someone else lower your self-esteem, because that’s what it is – self-esteem. You need to first love yourself before you have anybody else love you.” – Winnie Harlow
60. “Nothing profits more than self-esteem, grounded on what is just and right.” – John Milton