28 Greatest Buddhist Quotes on Love Devoid of Attachment
Greatest Buddhist Quotes on Love
Love is a universal language, which can be understood by anybody. It is one such emotion that gives butterflies in our stomachs. And fills us with happiness, whenever we are next to the one we love.
Harvard Medical School Professors and couple therapists in their research found out— that when people are love struck. Their brain releases a high level of dopamine, a chemical that “gets the reward system going.”
When couples care for each other, cuddle and caress, it gives them a rush of dopamine in their mind. Which makes them feel good and they crave to be together. As they derive a sense of fulfilment, and when apart, they develop a feeling of void.
This chemical called dopamine activates the reward circuit, which makes love a pleasurable experience. Similar to the high experienced with the intake of cocaine or alcohol.
That’s why people get involved deeply in relationships. As they get a rush of dopamine when they spend time together, doing couple things.
What Buddhism teaches us about Love:
Buddhist philosophy is based on loving without attachment. Wherein, you love a person deeply but do not crave for them.
According to Buddhist philosophy craving misbalances emotions. Which strays a person from the path of self-learning and enlightenment.
It brings misery and causes suffering because a love in which the main elements are— clinging, possessing, lust, self-importance, neediness and fear, is nothing more than bondage or jail for the self.
When one gets attached to someone, they lose connection with their self. They stop exploring themselves and rely on the other person (their partner) to make them feel better.
Hence, Buddhist philosophy prioritizes freedom. Because when you are free, you have time to contemplate, and to go inwards, which helps to create a balance between your thoughts.
Buddhist Philosophy on Love:
Buddha says there should be four key elements in love—
- First is friendship between the couple which nurtures deep understanding,
- Second is compassion for each other which kills ego,
- Third is joy, and
- Fourth is equanimity; which means both the people should be happy in unison and even as individuals.
If your love consists of these four elements, then you will prosper and glow from within. As such kind of love is not for the self but for the spirit, which liberates you.
To know how to attain such love, read these 28 greatest Buddhist quotes on love devoid of attachment.
28 Greatest Buddhist Quotes on Love Devoid of Attachment
Buddha Quotes on Love:
1. “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.”
2. “Radiate boundless love towards the entire world… above, below, and across… unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.”
3. “In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you.”
4. “There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.”
5. “Love the whole world as a mother loves her only child.”
6. “Silence the angry man with love. Silence the ill-natured man with kindness. Silence the miser with generosity. Silence the liar with truth.”
7. “The way to happiness is: keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry. Live simply, give much. Fill your life with love. Do as you would be done by.”
8. “You must love yourself before you love another. By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.”
9. “Just as a mother would protect her only child with her life, even so let one cultivate a boundless love towards all beings.”
10. “Hatred does not cease through hatred at any time. Hatred ceases through love. This is an unalterable law.”
11. “Avoid evil deeds as a man who loves life avoids poison.”
12. “If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another.”
13. “Love is a gift of one’s inner most soul to another so both can be whole.”
14. “When you like a flower, you just pluck it. But when you love a flower, you water it daily.”
Also Read: 30 Evergreen Buddhist Quotes on Karma to Teach you the Importance of your Actions
Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Love and Compassion:
15. “The more you are motivated by Love, the more Fearless & Free your action will be.”
16. “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.”
17. “I believe compassion to be one of the few things we can practice that will bring immediate and long-term happiness to our lives. I’m not talking about the short-term gratification of pleasures like sex, drugs or gambling (though I’m not knocking them), but something that will bring true and lasting happiness. The kind that sticks.”
18. “We can reject everything else: religion, ideology, all received wisdom. But we cannot escape the necessity of love and compassion… This, then, is my true religion, my simple faith. In this sense, there is no need for temple or church, for mosque or synagogue, no need for complicated philosophy, doctrine or dogma. Our own heart, our own mind, is the temple. The doctrine is compassion.
Love for others and respect for their rights and dignity, no matter who or what they are: ultimately these are all we need. So long as we practice these in our daily lives, then no matter if we are learned or unlearned, whether we believe in Buddha or God, or follow some other religion or none at all, as long as we have compassion for others and conduct ourselves with restraint out of a sense of responsibility, there is no doubt we will be happy.” – Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Love and Compassion
19. “Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.”
20. “You must not hate those who do wrong or harmful things; but with compassion, you must do what you can to stop them — for they are harming themselves, as well as those who suffer from their actions.”
21. “Love is the absence of judgment.”
22. “I believe all suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their happiness or satisfaction. Yet true happiness comes from a sense of inner peace and contentment, which in turn must be achieved through the cultivation of altruism, of love and compassion and elimination of ignorance, selfishness and greed.” – Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Love and Compassion
21. “I have found that the greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It is the ultimate source of success in life.”
22. “When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”
23. “Whether one is rich or poor, educated or illiterate, religious or nonbelieving, man or woman, black, white, or brown, we are all the same. Physically, emotionally, and mentally, we are all equal. We all share basic needs for food, shelter, safety, and love. We all aspire to happiness and we all shun suffering. Each of us has hopes, worries, fears, and dreams. Each of us wants the best for our family and loved ones. We all experience pain when we suffer loss and joy when we achieve what we seek. On this fundamental level, religion, ethnicity, culture, and language make no difference.” – Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Love and Compassion
Also Read: Karma Quotes: Collection of 90 Best Quotes on Karma
24. “The planet does not need more ‘successful people’. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers and lovers of all kinds. It needs people to live well in their places. It needs people with moral courage willing to join the struggle to make the world habitable and humane and these qualities have little to do with success as our culture is the set.” – Dalai Lama’s Buddhist Quotes on Love and Compassion
25. “It is lack of love for ourselves that inhibits our compassion toward others. If we make friends with ourselves, then there is no obstacle to opening our hearts and minds to others.”
26. “Love and compassion are the pillars of world peace.”
27. “Love and Compassion are the true religions to me. But to develop this, we do not need to believe in any religion.”
28. “Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.”
Dalai Lama’s official website.
If you like Buddhist Quotes on Love, then you might enjoy reading:
- 70 Satiating Quotes on Solitude that’ll Make you feel Good
- 40 Refreshing Jay Shetty Quotes to Help you to Think like a Monk
- 50 Best Sadhguru Quotes on Karma, Death, Life, Love and Yoga
- 40 Best Quotes for Loners to Unleash the Lone Wolf Within
- 55 Wholesome Relationship Quotes on Trust
- 40 Best Quotes About The Love Of God to Strengthen Your Faith in the Almighty