70 Powerful Demon Names from Mythologies and Pop Culture
Powerful Demon Names from Mythologies and Pop Culture:
The concept of good and evil has seized to exist in human society since time immemorial. Therefore, different cultures started using the concept of angels, and demons to give out a message of victory of good over evil.
Humans have always been fascinated with the stories of demons, as it gives them chills down the spine. In different religious mythologies, we can see the rise and fall of demons.
Some people, who love reading about supernatural things, like to do an in-depth study on demonology. Where they get to know the unique traits and names of demons in different religious epics or literature.
In this article we will share some iconic demon names, which you can use for naming your favorite gaming characters, and also to tease your friends or siblings with (evil smile). But before jumping on to the demon names let’s learn about the origin and history of demons.
The Rise of Demons in Media, Entertainment and Gaming Industry:
The concept of demons is quite popular in the media and entertainment industry. As one can see them making a dreadful appearance as antagonists or grey characters in movies.
Some of the popular demon characters in Hollywood films are Pazuzu (The Exorcist), Azazel (Fallen), Deadites (The Evil Dead), and Annabelle (The Conjuring).
The moviemakers and big celebrities are cashing on in the name of demons. As it fits perfectly into the image of a strong antagonist. In 2014 released Maleficent, we saw Hollywood beauty Angelina Jolie, playing the lead as a satanic character in the movie.
Even in the gaming culture, one can see the dominance of demons, especially as the main villain. For example, in the game ‘Dungeons and Dragons.’
The popularity of demons in media and entertainment industry will never go downhill, because it gives creative liberty to the writers and directors.
As they can bestow them with supernatural powers, give them quirks and make them wear dramatic makeup and costumes. Which makes it easier to create a negative aura of them, that terrorizes the audience.
Demon Names in Mythologies and Religious Epics:
Some people often ask, whether demons have a soul or not. The answer is that demons are basically souls, who have been corrupted beyond imagination. Whilst, in some literature demons are portrayed as having no souls and in a few, they are shown as half grey and half white.
You can find the mention of demons in the religious epics, which in the modern times serve as ancient literature. From where we can acquire knowledge about the faith, fear and beliefs of the people in the older times.
In Abrahamic religions, we see Satan as devil and in Islam there is Azazil. In Bible, the demonic figures are characterized as the serpent in the Garden of Eden, Lucifer, Satan, the tempter of the Gospels, Leviathan, and the dragon in the Book of Revelation.
In the greatest Hindu religious epic, Ramayana, we see the chief antagonist Ravana. He was a demon king who abducted Sita, the wife of Lord Rama. Later on, Lord Rama avenged his wife’s abduction and slew Ravana to bring his wife back.
The demon king Ravana is described as the greatest devotee of Lord Shiva. Apart from being the most powerful demon, he was a learned scholar, possessing the knowledge of six shastras and the four Vedas.
One can also find his name mentioned in the Buddhist Mahayana text Laṅkāvatāra Sūtra, in Buddhist Ramayanas and Jatakas, as well as in Jain Ramayanas. In some scriptures, Ravana is described as one of Vishnu’s cursed doorkeepers.
Some famous Demon names For your Gaming Characters:
If you are a gamer, then you must have a look at our list of demon names. That are inspired by demon angels like Lucifer, the King of Hell, and other demons and demoness, having their own unique traits, that can scare anybody away.
So check out our list of popular demon names taken from mythology and pop culture. Now you will never run out of demon names to give to your favourite gaming character.
If you aren’t a gamer, then don’t worry you can still read it as it’s fun. It will serve as an inspiration for assigning demon names to snakes in your friend circle, so they won’t get it HAHAHA!
70 Powerful Demon Names from Mythologies and Pop Culture
Some Popular Demon Names from Hindu and Buddhist Theology:
1. Andhaka (Hindu demonology): This demon name literally means “He who darkens”.
2. Arunasura (Hindu mythology): He was a demon who had attained the boon from Lord Brahma of not getting killed by any two or four-legged creature.
3. Asura (Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto): These are a class of beings in Indian religions. They are described as power-seeking clans.
4. Bakasura (Hindu mythology): This demon name is from Mahabharata (Hindu religious text). He was killed by Bhima, one of the five Pandava princes.
5. Bali Raj/Mahabali (Hindu mythology): This demon was sent beneath the Earth into “Patal Lok” or The Underworld by Vamana Avatar of Lord Vishnu.
6. Bhūta/Bhoot (Hindu mythology): It is a supernatural creature. This name means “Ghost”.
7. Kabandha (Hindu mythology): This name means “headless torso”. Kabandha’s legend appears in the Hindu epics Ramayana and Mahabharata, as well as in later Ramayana adaptations.
8. Kumbhakarna (Hindu mythology): This demon is from Ramayana, who used to sleep for 6 months and then awake for another six months of the year.
9. Maricha/Mareecha (Hindu mythology): A demon, who was killed by Rama.
10. Rakshasa (Hindu mythology): In Hindu mythology, Rakshasa means “Devil”.
11. Puloman (Hindu mythology): He is an Asura from Hindu mythology.
12. Mara (Buddhist mythology): A demon from Buddhist theology.
13. Preta (Hindu and Buddhist mythology): It means “Ghost” or “evil spirit”.
14. Akuma (Japanese Buddhism, Japanese Christianity): Akuma is a malevolent fire spirit in Japanese folklore. It is also described as a category of undefined beings who brought afflictions on humans.
Also Read: 85 Awesome Vampire Names with Meaning and Origin (Male & Female)
Demons Names from Christian, Jewish, Islam and Greek Folklores:
15. Abbadon: Abbadon is a Hebrew term that means “doom”. This demon name comes from Christian mythology.
16. Aamon/Amon: The name Aamon/Amon comes from the god Amun or from the god Baal-hamon of Carthage. It is one of the popular spirit names. This is one the popular demon names that come from Christian mythology.
17. Achlys: Achlys is one of the figures depicted on Heracles’ shield, representing the personification of sorrow. It is one of the demon names that come from Greek mythology.
18. Agares: In Christian mythology, he is described as an old man, riding a crocodile, and carrying a hawk on his fist.
19. Alastor: In Christian demonology, Alastor is a kind of possessing entity. The name Alastor is also used as a generic term for a class of evil spirits.
20. Bael: In Christian mythology, he is described as a hoarsely-voiced king with the power to make men invisible and ruling over 66 legions of demons.
21. Barbas: In Christian mythology, Barbas is described as the Great President of Hell governing 36 legions of demons.
22. Beleth: It is one of the most powerful demon names in Christian mythology. This demon has 85 legions of demons under his control.
23. Bune: This demon comes from Christian theology. He is described as a duke who is able to move the dead, make one rich, and answer many questions.
24. Camio: Camio is the Gaelic version of Biblical Cain. This name comes from Christian demonology.
25. Daemon: Daemon is a Latin word for “demon”. It is one of the best demon names in Latin America.
Also Read: 101 Best Mc Names with Origin and Meaning
26. Corson: Corson is one of the Kings of Hell in Christian mythology, who has 72 legions of demons under his control.
27. Dagon: Dagon was a god worshiped in ancient Syria, where rulers regarded him as the god capable of granting them kingship over the western areas. This name comes from Semitic mythology.
29. Eligos: In Christian mythology, he is a Great Duke of Hell, ruling 60 legions of demons. He discovers hidden things and knows the future of wars and how soldiers should meet.
30. Eisheth: This name comes from Jewish demonology. She is said to eat the souls of the damned. It is a one of the common female demon names in Jewish mythology.
31. Forneus: In Christian demonology, Forneus is a Great Marquis of Hell, and has 29 legions of demons under his control.
32. Gamigin: He is described as a marquis who initially takes the form of a small horse before transforming into a hoarse-voiced human. It is one of the devil names from Christian demonology.
33. Gremory: This is one of the cool demon names from Christian mythology.
34. Halphas: Many manuscripts describe Halphas as a hoarse-voiced stock dove. This name comes from Christian demonology. It is the 38th demon in the Ars Goetia.
35. Ghoul: It is a demon or monstrous humanoid originating in pre-Islamic Arabian religion. It was also featured in the movie series ‘Ghoulies’.
36. Hinn: This name originates from Islamic folklore. The existence of Hinn is accepted by the Druze.
37. Jinn: Jinn (commonly known as Genie) is a popular supernatural being that comes from Islamic demonology. In popular culture, Jinn is depicted as a spirit trapped in a Genie bottle, which grants three wishes to human beings.
38. Shaitan: A class of jinn (“spirits”) from Islamic folklore. Indian and Syrian Shaitans are described as the strongest of their class. This might be a synonym of the English word “Satan”. They usually eat excrement and use disease as their strongest weapon. They exist on the borderline between light and darkness.
Also Read: 55 Christian Quotes on Love which Goes beyond the Self
Popular Demon Names from Fiction, TV shows and Movies:
39. Annabelle: This is the name of a demon doll in ‘The Conjuring’ and Annabelle movies. This is one of the most common demon names for girls.
40. Ghoulies, This name is derived from the word ghoul. This name appears in the movie series ‘Ghoulies’.
41. Ruby: This name is from the TV series, ‘Supernatural’. One of the most common demon names.
42. Alastair: This is the name of one of the demons in the TV show, ‘Supernatural’.
43. Paimon: This is one of the best demon names from the 2018 hit horror film ‘Hereditary’.
44. Juiblex: this is the name of the monsters in the role playing game ‘Dungeon And Dragons’, who act as villains.
45. Balthazar: this name is from the horror film, ‘Constantine’.
46. Lucifer Morningstar: This is a name for the devil which appears in the popular TV series “Lucifer”.
47. Abi: This is the name of the devil in the work, ‘Devilman’. It is ne of the shortest demon names.
48. Sweeney Todd, this name comes from the 2007 dark musical ‘Sweeney Todd’. It was the name of the protagonist played by Johnny Depp.
49. Aku, This name is from the animated TV series, ‘Samurai Jack’.
50. Boogeyman, This popular creepy name is from in the series of the same name, ‘Boogeyman’.
51. Casey, is a demon from the TV series, ‘Supernatural’.
52. Cain: This name is also from the popular TV series, ‘Supernatural’.
53. Wendigo, This monster is from the TV series, ‘Supernatural’.
Also Read: 66 Powerful Quotes on Death to Vanish Your Fear of it
54. Bambadjan, This demon is from the TV series, ‘The Good Place’.
55. Diablo, This demon name is from the series of the same name, ‘Diablo’.
56. Crowley: He is a demon referred to as King of Hell in the TV series, ‘Supernatural’.
57. Blackheart, A supernatural villain from the ‘Marvel’ comics.
58. Aatrox, This demon name is from a popular online multiplayer game, ‘League Of Legends’.
59. Decarbia: This demon name is from the video game, ‘Lineage 2’.
60. Anthony, this is another demon name from the TV show, ‘Supernatural’.
61. Farfarello, This is the name of a demon who is in Dante’s ‘Inferno’.
62. Archimonde, this demon name comes from a series of video games called ‘Warcraft’.
63. Bad Ash, This is one of the most well-known demon names which appears in the ‘Evil Dead’ films.
64. Majin Buu, This Demon name comes from the ‘Dragon Ball’ series.
65. Barbas, this demon name comes from the TV series, ‘Charmed’.
66. Abalam, this demon name comes from the 2010 horror film, ‘The Last Exorcism’.
67. Alichino, almost everyone, especially in academia is familiar with Dante’s legendary work, ‘Inferno’.
68. Typhon, in Greek, Typhon means “devil”.
69. Mantus, The Etruscan God of hell.
70. Dracula: It is probably one of the most famous vampires in pop culture, which first appeared in a novel named “Dracula” by Bram Stoker in 1897 and then 1931 and 1992 movies of the same name made it more popular. Dracula novel was first published in 1897. But the history of these blood-sucking creatures started centuries before Stoker was born.
If you liked these demon names, then you might like:
- 30 Best Michelle Obama Quotes “The First African-American First Lady of the USA”
- 30 Parenting Quotes that’ll Offer you the Best Parenting Advice
- 50 Best Pregnancy Quotes to Celebrate the Joy of New Moms
- 40 Earnest Princess Diana Quotes on Love, Family, Humanity & Her Personality
- 40 Best Quotes About The Love Of God to Strengthen Your Faith in the Almighty
- 50 Best Snowman Quotes that are Cute, Funny & Adorable